Amber_Lawrence

Hello! My Name Is…

My name is Amber and I’m from Richmond, Virginia. I enjoy spending time with my amazing husband and my energetic three-year-old son Caleb. We enjoy vacationing on the beach or river and when I’m not with my friends or family, I’m snuggled up with a good book or a good show on Netflix. My faith also plays a very important part in my life and helps drive me to always pursue and seek betterment.

I currently work as an executive administrative assistant in Support Services and Planning Administration and for the Chief of Perioperative Services at VCU Health Systems in Richmond and I love my job and colleagues.

What is your motivation for obtaining your degree here at Averett University?

There are several key motivating factors for obtaining my degree. I completed my associate’s degree 11 years ago and have always vowed to go back but always found a reason to put it off. The time is now and it feels right. I have the support and backing of my husband and son who are also a huge motivating factor for me. I want my son to see me as an example to always go after your dreams and never to hold yourself back from great possibilities. Of course, this program always opens up the opportunity for career advancement, which is also bonus.

Why did you choose Averett University’s Graduate & Professional Studies program?

The Averett GPS program was recommended by a colleague who completed the same program successfully a couple of years ago. I did my research, talked with my assigned academic counselor and it felt right. The program fit around my schedule and was an affordable option, so I jumped at the opportunity to attend.

The program fit around my schedule and was an affordable option, so I jumped at the opportunity to attend.

What advice would you share for current and incoming students in Averett University’s GPS Program?

Set aside the time! Unfortunately, there just aren’t enough hours in a day but setting aside the necessary time to study and complete assignments is key. Remember to keep in the forefront your motivation for going back and this will help drive your determination to give your all.

What keeps you motivated while in your degree program?

There may be times I think “what did I get myself into?” but remembering the benefits that will derive from this program far outweighs those negative feelings. As a mom, wife and full-time employee, it’s been crucial to remember my goals and that every course completed gets me one step closer to graduation.

What is your anticipated date of graduation?

My anticipated date of graduation is 2020.

Learn about our BBA Programs

Tags: , ,