In recognition of the service that the military provides to this nation, Averett University offers a special scholarship for all military members (active or reserve), DOD civilian employees, State National Guard employees, Honorably Discharged veterans and their family members.
Military Aid & Benefits
In order to apply for military aid and benefits, a copy of the DD-214 stating the “Character of Service” as Honorably Discharged is requested along with the application. Averett Online students must submit their applications to their enrollment counselor during the admissions process.
This scholarship is available for all degree programs statewide for students who are in the Averett Online program and provides a 25% tuition reduction to those students enrolled on a full-time basis. This discount cannot be combined with academic scholarships offered through the traditional program.
* Please note that the following students are not eligible for the Military Discount until they have exhausted their benefit:
- Students who are 100% Post 9/11 eligible
- Students who are using the Yellow Ribbon Program
Averett University is approved by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs for veteran’s benefits. Averett’s School Certifying Official for the traditional & the Averett Online program office is located on the second floor of Main Hall in Averett Central. The VA Certifying Official for students can be reached at 434-791-5766 or by emailing [email protected]
Veterans’ educational benefits must be considered when calculating a student’s eligibility for financial aid, and the student is responsible for reporting this information to the Financial Aid Office. Students receiving VA benefits must provide a letter of confirmation from the Department of Veterans Affairs to the Financial Aid Office. Please see additional veterans’ benefits information here.
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and TAPS recently started working together to ensure surviving family members are connected to their VA benefits. This includes the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John D. Fry scholarship , which provides Post-9/11 GI Bill education benefits to children of Service members who died in the line of duty after Sept. 10, 2001. The benefit includes full in-state tuition and fees, a monthly housing allowance and a books and supplies stipend.
By working with non-profit organizations like TAPS helps us stay connected and ensure all eligible dependents know – and use – the Fry Scholarship, hosting economic competitiveness summits across the country, and launching new online employment tools, we continue to work hard to connect transitioning Service members, Veterans and their family members with meaningful employment and rewarding careers.
The Tuition Assistance program at Averett University is offered to individuals who are current active duty members in the military. Our online program & traditional program offers a discounted rate of $250 per credit hour depending on the program chosen.
Students are required to apply for Tuition Assistance to see if their program of choice is eligible for assistance. Once the program of choice is approved the student will be responsible for providing degree program outline and course schedules to their military counselor. Students are also required to submit any changes to their schedule such as adding/dropping a course or withdrawing from the University. Students that do not successfully complete a course will be required to repay the Tuition Assistance.
Students that do not qualify for any benefits but are a veteran qualify for our Military Discount. Averett applicants who can supply transcripts demonstrating their military experience or experience as a current Department of Defense employee can receive a military rate (Bachelor’s) or a 25% discount (Graduate) off their tuition when enrolled full-time.
- Set your Sights on Success. Visit Tutor.Com
- Mentoring Program: American Corporate Partners (ACP) Free Mentoring Program: For Veterans and Spouses.
- Army Emergency Relief Dependent Children
- American Legion Children of Warriors National Presidents’ Scholarship: Scholarship is awarded to descendants of military members
- Army Emergency Relief Spouse Education Assistance Program
- Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts(MyCAA)
- CCME Scholarships
- Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Scholarships
- Folds of Honor Military Scholarships for Spouses and Children
- Google SVA Scholarship
- Raytheon Patriot Scholarship
- Accenture Student Veterans Scholarship
- Pat Tillman Scholar: Open to veteran and active-duty military members in all branches of service, including the Coast Guard, as well as their spouses
- Troop to Teacher: Open to all current and former service members who wish to become teachers in a K-12 setting
- Field of Honor Scholarship
- AFCEA Scholarships
- Wings Over America: For children and spouses of all U.S. Navy personnel
- SVA’s Leadership Institute, sponsored by Prudential, is the premier training for student veterans who are emerging leaders in their chapter, on their campus, and in their community.
- Education Connection Military Scholarship for Veterans, Active Duty and Military Spouses