Jarrod_Saunders

Hello! My Name Is…

Hello, my name is Jarrod Saunders. I am originally from Danville, VA, and currently live in Portsmouth, VA. I am a middle school Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher for Suffolk Public School, and a part-time chef at Olive Garden. I am an only child, and my hobbies include working out, listening to music, watching stand-up comedy, and interacting with like-minded people, to name a few.

What is your motivation for obtaining your degree here at Averett University?

My motivation for obtaining my degree here at Averett University is to be able to obtain a career in Human Resources, that will allow me to live a fulfilling and rewarding life, as well as assisting other people in achieving their dreams and goals.

Why did you choose Averett University’s Graduate & Professional Studies program?

I choose Averett’s Graduate & Professional Studies Program mainly because of the hometown connection. The elementary school I attended is located close to Averett. I remember admiring the campus everyday as I rode by, and it means a lot 30 years later, to further my education from the first university I was ever introduced to.

Also, I have witnessed the growth of Averett over the past 30 years, and I am proud to be a part of a university that is continuously moving forward.

How has your degree from Averett University assisted you in your career?

Although I am still in the process of pursuing my degree, I have noticed how the MBA program has already made me a better person career wise, and also on a personal level. It has taught me not to be narrow-minded, and to look at situations from multiple viewpoints. The main benefit I have observed is that it has taught me to make decisions, and solve problems based on logic, and not emotion. It has improved my researching, writing, and analytical skills, and solving complex situations has become easier to manage.

What advice would you share for current and incoming students in Averett University’s GPS Program?

Advice I would share for current and incoming students in Averett University’s GPS Program is to first of all, have a positive mindset. Reduce or remove the people and things that don’t provide you with positive energy. Other than having a positive mindset, I recommend proper planning, and try to find a balance between family/friends, schoolwork, everyday life, hobbies, and proper rest. “Brain Breaks” have become my best friend. When working on assignments, sometimes I find it beneficial to take a 15-30 minute break to regroup, reset, and refocus.

What keeps you motivated while in your degree program? 

What keeps me motivated while in the degree program is keeping my eyes on the big picture.  On a daily basis, I take a few moments to visualize myself walking across the stage, obtaining my diploma. What also keeps me motivated is the anticipation of the future career opportunities, and living a comfortable lifestyle.

What is your anticipated date of graduation?

Averett University, Class of 2019!

Read 3 Ways an MBA Online Can Help You Advance Professionally

Read 3 Ways an Accredited Online MBA Can Help You Advance Personally

Learn about our MBA Programs

Download MBA Requirements

Tags: , , ,