michael_sowers_headshot

Hello! My Name Is…

My name is Mike Sowers and I am married to my wife, Karen, and have two boys, Finn and Gabe. We love being in the outdoors and enjoy riding bikes, hiking, and camping. I am a car enthusiast who enjoys going to car shows, polishing my car, or just turning a wrench for a bit. My sons are normally on hose duty and responsible for rinsing dad’s car while detailing. I work for Verizon, where I am a Client Partner, working with Federal agencies. As a Client Partner, I am responsible for the national mobility programs supporting the Department of Justice. I spend a good bit of my time in the DC and Northern VA areas for work.

What is your motivation for obtaining your degree here at Averett University?

Getting my MBA is a bucket list item. It has been on my bucket list for nearly 20 years. I will also be the first person in my family to have an MBA. I also want to be a good example to my boys. In the short term, I want them to do well in school, however I want them to think about their long term possibilities. Maybe one of them will be the first person in the family to have a doctorate.

Why did you choose Averett University’s Graduate & Professional Studies program?

I looked at multiple different schools, however Averett’s was the best fit. The Richmond satellite campus is only a few miles from my office and has enabled a face to face program that best aligned to my preferred learning style. The discussions held with my fellow classmates provides alternative views that I find to be insightful.

How has your degree from Averett University assisted you in your career?

The program has provided a deeper understanding of business practices. This understanding has allowed me to better understand the why behind how businesses, especially my company, makes business decisions. The program has stimulated and challenged me to think and see through a different lens. This ability is helping me to better articulate myself every day at work.

The program has stimulated and challenged me to think and see through a different lens. This ability is helping me to better articulate myself every day at work.

What advice would you share for current and incoming students in Averett University’s GPS Program?

Enjoy it while it lasts. My time is quickly coming to an end and I will enjoy having more free time. However, there is already a part of me that will miss my Tuesday classes and classmates.

What keeps you motivated while in your degree program?

My cohort. Starting and ending with each of my classmates has been a great experience. Over the last two years, we have gotten to know each other and created a strong support system.

What is your anticipated date of graduation?

Averett University, Class of 2018!

Read 3 Ways an MBA Online Can Help You Advance Professionally

Read 3 Ways an Accredited Online MBA Can Help You Advance Personally

Learn about our MBA Programs

Download MBA Requirements

Tags: , , ,