Channing _Wagner_Headshot

Hello! My Name Is…

My name is Channing Wagner and I am a mom to 2 beautiful boys, a wife, and an administrator in Chesterfield County. Beyond my everyday roles, I love photography, spending time with my family, and shopping! My career journey has been fast paced and exciting! I was an elementary classroom teacher for 7 years, transitioned into a Title 1 math position for 1 year, and was recently hired as assistant principal for the same elementary school I attended grades K-5. This opportunity is a blessing beyond words.

What was your motivation for obtaining your degree here at Averett University?

As a classroom teacher, I always took on additional leadership roles. It wasn’t until I stepped into the role of coordinating summer school that I felt that l0ve for leadership. I knew that I would be able to motivated and support more teachers and students leaving the classroom and stepping into an administrative role. Having said that, I also knew that I would need the support from my family to pursue my Masters in leadership, as I was raising two children under 3 years of age.

Why did you choose Averett University’s Graduate & Professional Studies program?

I chose Averett for the convenience of being able to study and learn from home, the flexibility of online classes, and because the staff was so supportive of my journey without even knowing me personally.

Some people wait for an ideal time. The truth is, life is full of unexpected events and blessings. I was working as a full time classroom teacher, raising a 2 year old, and pregnant with my youngest -all while pursing my Masters in leadership.

How has your degree from Averett University assisted you in your career?

In earning my degree from Averett, I put my dream into a reality! In little over a year, I had the honor of accepting a position as assistant principal! The courses and staff at Averett set me up for success!

What advice would you share for current and incoming students in Averett University’s GPS Program?

If leadership is a passion for you, pursue it! Some people wait for an ideal time. The truth is, life is full of unexpected events and blessings. I was working as a full time classroom teacher, raising a 2 year old, and pregnant with my youngest -all while pursing my Masters in leadership. Averett gave me the flexibility to be with my family, chase my dreams, and prepare me for a successful career as an administrator. Balance is key. Organize your time and surround yourself with people who support your dreams.

What kept you motivated while in your degree program?

The possibility to make a larger impact in a school was what motivated me to take a leap of faith and complete my degree program. Teachers and students deserve so much each and every day! Without Averett, I wouldn’t be in the position I am in- leading and motivating a group of outstanding students and staff!

Learn about our M.Ed. Programs

Download M.Ed. Requirements

Tags: , , , ,