amelia_pagans_headshot

Hello! My Name Is…

I am currently a 3rd grade teacher at Ferrum Elementary in Franklin County, Virginia. I am completing my 4th year in the classroom and absolutely love seeing my students’ growth throughout the school year! Outside of my school responsibilities, I enjoy spending time with my family. I am very involved in my church and its music program. I am the assistant choir director and director of our hand bell choir at my church.

What is your motivation for obtaining your degree here at Averett University?

I always knew that I wanted to obtain my Master’s degree, however, I waited a couple of years after graduating because I wanted to be sure I was following the correct path. I realized that I enjoy designing new and engaging lessons for my students and decided that curriculum and instruction would be the best choice in a Master’s degree for me!

Why did you choose Averett University’s Graduate & Professional Studies program?

As I began looking at various programs, Averett’s Graduate and Professional Studies Program stood out to me because of its online format that required no trips to campus. I knew that with my busy schedule at work and my church commitment that I did not want to have to travel to a campus for classes. Also, the admissions counselor was very helpful and supportive with the application and enrollment process.

How has your degree from Averett University assisted you in your career?

The information that I was able to learn throughout the program has also helped me become a better teacher. I learned many new strategies to use in my classroom to help my students become better thinkers and apply what they have learned. I hope to use this to become an instructional coach one day in the future.

I learned many new strategies to use in my classroom to help my students become better thinkers and apply what they have learned.

What advice would you share for current and incoming students in Averett University’s GPS Program?

My advice that I would share for current and incoming students is to take each class one step at a time. Don’t try to look too far ahead in the class. Take one week at a time. As you work throughout the program, keep reminding yourself that you are one week closer to finishing and soon that turns into one class closer to finishing your Master’s degree. Also, your professors are very helpful. Be sure to ask questions for clarification on assignments if you need them.

What keeps you motivated while in your degree program?

What kept me motivated while in my Master’s degree program was the thought that each “week down” was getting me further along to completing my career goal of obtaining my Master’s degree. My parents were my biggest cheerleaders as I worked through the program. They helped me out by completing other things that needed doing so that I could focus on my Averett assignments.

What is your anticipated date of graduation?

I will be graduating May 5, 2018! I am very excited to complete this journey at the spring commencement ceremony!

Learn about our M.Ed. Programs

Download M.Ed. Requirements

Tags: , ,