Keith_Miley

Engaging your professors is essential to your development as a student, and your progression to achieve academic goals (degree). They are the best educational resources you will have at AU, and each one wants to be there to help you succeed in achieving your goals.

What is your motivation for obtaining your degree?

My motivation to pursue a degree from higher learning came as an opportunity offered by the federal government to satisfy a 37-year-old goal (obtain a college degree).

Why did you choose Averett’s Graduate & Professional Studies Program?

Selecting AU’s GPS program was easy because it offered the best fit for my, then, current situation. Going to school is challenging alone, so I had to find the right institution of higher learning with a degree program that was suited for my situation (and daily schedule). I knew being a student alone is challenging and time-consuming. But, add to the equation, having to support your family, and dealing with everyday life challenges made it complicated to just attend any school. The school had to offer a program that would allow me to develop as a student while meeting the requirements to obtain a degree, and without having to make significant sacrifices. That higher learning institution was AU!

Please share one tip for your fellow classmates and future AU students:

Two tips: time management and engaging your professors in your pursuit to a degree. To my fellow student, allocate and obligate your time to prepare for challenges that are ahead. There is nothing you can accomplish without a plan.

Professors Bob Sims, Rosemary Parsells, Michael Jernigan, Evan Feidler, Julia Mayhew, David Chien, Stephen Pawlow, Malcolm Francis (and the list goes on) were instrumental in my development as a college student, and I cannot thank them enough. It was Professor Parsells who helped me believe that I could do anything I set my mind to. Professor Sims showed me how to write a paper, and it was because of him I gained confidence in my writing. And it was Professor Jernigan who not only taught the concept of entrepreneurship, but life lessons, and the advantageous way to apply them. The common thread with all AU professors is that they let you know that it is not just the education that will help you to succeed in life, but the experience you encounter on the journey.

What helps to keep you motivated while you are in the program?

My wife! There were times especially early on when I wanted to quit, but Mrs. Connie Miley was there to not let me quit, keep my focus, and always boost me when I needed a lift. Other times when things seem to be hard, she provided me with a similar situation she encountered while working on both her Bachelors in Business Administration and Masters in Human Resources Management.

My daughters also encourage me by being proud that their father at the young age of 56 (57 January 7, 2018) will receive a degree from a credited University.

Other motivation came from Ms. Logan (AU Student Academics Counselor), all my professors, and my co-workers who all encouraged me to continue on the road to higher learning and academic achievement.

What is your anticipated Date of Graduation?

Averett University, December 2017 (Yeah!)

Read 6 Reasons Why Now is the Perfect Time to Earn Your BBA Degree

Learn more about our BBA program

Download BBA Requirements

Tags: , , , , , ,