Sandra Jennings

What is your motivation for obtaining your degree?

My motivation for obtaining my degree stems from several different reasons. First, to set an example for my three sons, and show them that education is one of the most valuable, long-lasting investments one can make for themselves in a lifetime, and it is never too late to do so. Second, in today’s job market, employers are looking for employees who possess a degree. I feel having a degree is necessary to find and retain a good paying job. And last, by being an ovarian cancer survivor, I have come to the realization that we should never put off till tomorrow what we can do today. Our time on earth is too precious to let one minute waste away.

Why did you choose Averett’s Graduate & Professional Studies Program?

By God’s design, I was given a job assignment to solicit products and services for the bank in which I work for at a new teacher orientation at one of the area middle schools, and there was a representative from Averett there as well. His name is Jonathan Nichels. While for years I had rolled the idea around in my head of getting my degree, I had no idea that today would be the day I took the plunge…Jonathan made it so easy for me to get started, I could not believe it! He was totally amazing in getting everything organized! My middle son graduated from Averett just a few years ago with a bachelors in art as well. I guess I like the way we have started a family tradition. My youngest son also wants to pursue a degree in Psychology at Averett as well in just a couple of years.

Please share one tip for your fellow classmates and future AU students:

Set goals, aim high, and be committed.

What helps to keep you motivated while you are in the program?

I am a person that usually gets bored pretty quick and easy, but with the way the classes are designed in the GPS Program, by the time I may start to become bored, it is time to start a brand new class! I love it!!

What is your anticipated Date of Graduation?

My anticipated graduation date is May 2017.

Tags: