This page outlines Averett University’s graduation policies for GPS students. Deadlines for filing paperwork, paying fees, or registering for final courses vary each year. Please visit Averett’s main graduation policies page to see updated information about the most recent set of deadlines.
Graduation Audits and Withdrawing from Graduation
After your application for graduation has been received, a graduation audit will be performed to confirm you have satisfactorily completed all the requirements for your degree. Bring any discrepancies to the attention of your advisor or the Registrar’s Office immediately.
If you find that you will not meet requirements, have already applied for graduation and wish to withdraw from the ceremony, please notify the Registrar’s Office in writing. Faxes and emails are acceptable (434-791-7181). Students withdrawn from graduation will need to re-apply to participate in a future graduation ceremony. Your commencement fee (if paid) will carry over to the next graduation only.
Averett University Graduation Timeline
Because ceremony participation is required, you will also need to order your cap and gown and, if possible, attend rehearsals.
Assuming you will graduate in the spring, a general timeline of graduation preparation would run like this:
- Register for any necessary Independent Study Credit and online courses for the final term.
- Ensure any official transcripts or test scores from other institutions have been received by the Registrar’s Office.
- Apply for graduation and submit the required $100 graduation fee. There will be a $25 late charge for applications faxed, scanned and emailed or postmarked after the March deadline. Applications received or postmarked more than two weeks after the March deadline will be held and processed for graduation the following fall. You must pay the fee even if you do not plan to participate in the ceremony.
- Order your cap and gown from the Averett Bookstore in person or via e-mail (phone orders are not accepted). Orders submitted after the March deadline will be assessed a $10.00 late fee. You may only order your cap and gown from Averett. The cap and gown order form can be found on the main page of our web site: www.averett.bkstr.com.
- Students who have applied for graduation will receive an email in early April requesting them to participate in the required Averett Graduation Survey.
- All account balances must be paid by mid-April.
- At the end of classes, all requirements for graduation must be completed and grades submitted.
- Rehearsal is generally held a week before the graduation date. Attendance is strongly encouraged to ensure the ceremony runs smoothly. Bring your graduation regalia to make sure that you have the correct gown and hood.
- Finally, graduation day takes place at the end of April. The ceremony is simulcast on the Internet, with a webcast accessible on Averett’s site 15 minutes before proceedings begin.
For questions about GPS graduation policies, contact us.