Tanesha_Lockett

Hello! My Name Is…

My name is Tanesha.

Career: Current position is a Program Planning / Scheduling Manager-3 at Newport News Shipbuilding / Huntington Ingalls. I am approaching 22 years with the company and started as an Apprentice in the electrical field. I spent 8 years on the deck plate as a mechanic specializing in installing the fiber optic systems. I spent most of my career in salary off the waterfront but still supporting the trades by creating them work orders and producing their schedules. Overall, my team creates and maintains the Integrated Master Schedule for New Carrier Construction ships.

Family: I’ve been married for 13 years and have two daughters the ages of 11 and 4. Their birthdays fall in the M months, March and May. My spouse also works in the shipbuilding industry.

Hobbies: I’m obsessed with fashion so I shop very often and love to have a good time out with friends and family. I’ve also gained a true passion for interior decorating which requires me to shop more LOL. It somewhat ties into fashion because just like with clothes I want to dress up the house as well and it requires creativity to style it.

What is your motivation for obtaining your degree here at Averett University?

My motivation for obtaining a degree to acquire a more diverse understanding/knowledge of things to be well-rounded. Mostly importantly to ensure that I qualify for the next natural progression step in order to elevate in my career. Plus, I want to lead by example so that my children has something to strive for.

Why did you choose Averett University’s Graduate & Professional Studies program?

I was recommended by my boss to go through Averett because of the night school program that was once a week. He thought it will better support my family life by only having to attend class only once a week with a duration that allows for some work assignments to be completed. My boss also graduated from Averett so it seemed to work for him. Therefore, I followed his lead and proud to say that I’m currently taking my very last course which ends this week!!!

I was recommended by my boss to go through Averett because of the night school program that was once a week. He thought it will better support my family life by only having to attend class only once a week with a duration that allows for some work assignments to be completed.

How has your degree from Averett University assisted you in your career?

The courses, specifically the Business classes, that I’ve taken has sharpened my knowledge in some areas that are applicable to managing an organization. Also the challenging school assignments has prepared me to complete complex writing tasks and presentation development at work.

What advice would you share for current and incoming students in Averett University’s GPS Program?

The advice I would give students is to really establish a plan each week by the day on what assignments that you will get done. It is so essential to have plan timeframe because the volume of work is astronomical so TIME is a huge factor. Especially, if you have a full-time job and family.

What keeps you motivated while in your degree program?

I have employees that have higher education than me that I mentor/coach/develop so it’s inspiring when they continue their education. I want to be a great leader so through demonstration of furthering my education it exemplifies to my team and overall management that I’m committed to becoming better, which will benefit the business, as well as personally.

What is your anticipated date of graduation?

I will graduate in May 2019 so I’ll be going through the application/registration process very soon!!!

Learn about our BBA programs

Tags: , , , ,