Hello! My Name Is…

Hi! My name is Robert Horn! I’ve been a Police Officer with the Chesterfield County Police Department for the last 6 years, the last 2 years of which I’ve spent with the School Resource Officer Program. My mother and father were both principals before they retired and my sister is a speech pathologist so I have deep ties to the school system. In my spare time, I enjoy running and going on park walks with my girlfriend and dogs.

What is your motivation for obtaining your degree here at Averett University?

My motivation for obtaining my Master’s Degree is to gain more knowledge in how to effectively lead people. As a law enforcement officer, it is vitally important to see everything around you as an asset, from your equipment to your vehicle to the people around you, they’re all resources to manage and strategically employ. Because of this, I chose to pursue a degree in Business Administration; I feel this career path will give me the greatest opportunity to help other police officers unlock their full potential. The contributions I will be making to the department will help fortify and enhance an already-strong department.

Why did you choose Averett University’s Graduate & Professional Studies program?

Averett University has partnered with the Chesterfield County Police Department in an effort to provide educational opportunities to its officers who wish to continue their education in a capacity that most conducive to their family-life and inconsistent work hours. It is a wonderful opportunity of which I decided to take advantage.

How has your degree from Averett University assisted you in your career?

Learning in this environment has been helpful. When I was going for my undergraduate degree, I was not the most diligent student. Taking online classes and working at my own pace has been a blessing. When it comes to my career, it has helped open my eyes to different aspects of policing that I would not have otherwise seen. The diverse potential in those around me has enabled me to not only take advantage of learning from them but also direct resources in the most effective way.

What advice would you share for current and incoming students in Averett University’s GPS Program?

The advice I would share is simple, “Just keep swimming.” –Dori. When things seem to be bearing down on you in life, just keep swimming. When deadlines hit and you don’t think you can do it anymore, just keep swimming. No matter what life throws at you, if you keep swimming, you can make it to the other side. Keep your goals in sight and just keep swimming.

What keeps you motivated while in your degree program?

My mom is what keeps me motivated. She’s always seen the best version of me, even when I gave her cause to think otherwise. If I’m having a stressful day, or a paper didn’t turn out the way I wanted, she listens and tells me she’s proud of me for taking my education seriously. She makes me feel like I can move mountains.

What is your anticipated date of graduation?

My anticipated date of graduation is Spring or Summer of 2019.

Learn about our MBA Programs

Tags: , , ,