Angela_Clarke

Hello! My Name Is…

Hi! I’m Angela Clarke! I am currently an employee at Dominion Energy and I work in the New Technology department, where we process Net Metering applications. I am a mother of two boys that are 22 and 23 and a two year old grand-daughter. Some of my hobbies include bowling, going to the beach, traveling, amusement parks and drag racing.

What is your motivation for obtaining your degree here at Averett University?

I believe that many of us graduate from high school and we are pushed by our parents to go to college because that seems like the “right” thing to do. Unfortunately, some of us do not have a clue as to what we want to do or where we want to be in life. Well, I was one of those kids that did not know what I wanted to do. Before I knew it, I had kids, got married and the family life took over and I never ended attending as planned.

I have been through several layoffs since 2008 that really created the foundation and “pushed” me to return to college to further my education. As the education levels and job competition has increased, I realized that I needed to make myself more competitive within the workforce. I graduated in 2016 from Averett with a Bachelor of Business Administration, with Magna Cum Laude and a 3.65 GPA. I recently returned to obtain my MBA with a concentration in Human Resource Management. I chose Averett because I already had an established relationship and I knew how the program worked. It was very easy to return start my MBA program.

Why did you choose Averett University’s Graduate & Professional Studies program?

I originally became interested in Averett because my sister had attended and graduated with her BBA. I looked into the programs and liked the fact that they offered classes online and within the classroom. The GPS program at Averett is designed to cater to those that have a busy lifestyle such as work, family and all the other things that happen in life. The hours in the classroom are great because they are usually one day a week for four hours and fell conveniently after my work schedule. The classes online allow you to work more independently, but you have to be more self-motivated to ensure you meet the deadlines.

The GPS program at Averett is designed to cater to those that have a busy lifestyle such as work, family and all the other things that happen in life.

How has your degree from Averett University assisted you in your career?

Obtaining my degree form Averett has allowed me to make myself more promotable in the workforce. I can now say that I have the knowledge and the degree for those jobs that interest me and I am given more opportunities by employers when they review my resume.

What advice would you share for current and incoming students in Averett University’s GPS Program?

As stated earlier, the Averett GPS Program is awesome and they are designed for working adults that are interested in furthering their education. They are flexible and you are not pushed to complete more than one class at a time, which allows me more time to focus on that particular subject. The classes usually range from 6-10 weeks, depending on the class.

What keeps you motivated while in your degree program?

My kids are my biggest motivator. I want them to see and understand that no matter how old you get, where you came from or where you have been, it is never too late to fulfill your dreams. As an adult learner, I have become my own motivator and I tend to take things more seriously now versus when I was younger, especially knowing I will be paying for this tuition once I complete my program. That in itself is motivation to do the best I can and give it all I’ve got.

What is your anticipated date of graduation?

My anticipated graduation is next year. I will have my last course completed by spring or summer, assuming I stay on my current path. Anticipating that my grades stay as they are, I will be graduating with honors when I receive my MBA with a concentration in Human Resource Management degree.

Learn about our MBA Programs

Tags: , , ,