“What kept me motivated to finish my degree was really the desire to succeed. Quitting wasn’t an option…Once you obtain that degree, there’s nobody on the planet and nothing that can ever take it away from you.” – Brian L., BSCJ

Brian: “My name is Brian Layton and I’m a police captain with the Fredericksburg, Virginia Police Department. The degree I’m after is sociology and criminal justice. To pursue my degree as an adult, I was inspired by my children and I wanted to be that dad that was inspiring their kids to go off to college. My first phone call to Averett, I landed Pat Williams. What a great experience that was. Pat was a true inspiration and got the ball rolling for me. Quite honestly you gave me that confidence to sign up and make that commitment. Thank you for that.”

Pat: “You’re welcome. This is the reward right here tomorrow, graduation. I’m really proud.”

Brian: “What kept me motivated to finish my degree was really the desire to succeed. Quitting wasn’t an option. To have my children see me quit – what kind of an example would I have set for them? Advice I would give to a prospective student that’s considering going back to school, is just do it. Once you obtain that degree, there’s nobody on the planet and nothing that can ever take it away from you. It’s a commitment that is worth your time, it’s worth your efforts, it’s an achievement that you will have the rest of your lives. The GPS program worked wonderfully for me.”

Learn about our Sociology and Criminal Justice Programs.

Tags: , ,