natalie_ferrell_and_son

Hello! My Name Is…

My name is Natalie Ferrell! Currently, I am employed as a full-time receptionist at Steve Padgett’s Danville Honda in Danville, Virginia. I am a single mother of an eight year old boy who is my world. I spend the majority of my free time reading, spending time with my son, family and friends. My ultimate career goal is to work in the Social Work field with youth.

What is your motivation for obtaining your degree here at Averett University?

Everything I have accomplished has been for him, my son, to show him that even when it feels like things are hard and you don’t have time, your education and your goals are attainable! My late mother was an Averett University Alumni, class of 2006, and if she could get her degree while working full time and raising five children, I knew I could as well. My mother was an inspiration, and my son is my purpose.

Why did you choose Averett University’s Graduate & Professional Studies program?

I obtained my Associate’s Degree in Liberal Arts – Humanities in 2013. I had applied, and was accepted to Averett University in 2013 and registered for classes, but life had other plans. My work made it impossible to be able to go to school like I wanted and I had to put my Bachelor’s degree on hold. Fast forward three years, after researching various online degree programs, Averett popped up on a search, and when I checked what credits from my Associate’s degree would transfer, Averett was the perfect fit. The classes were quick, challenging to the appropriate level, and the staff was amazing at responding and helping me along the way. I recommend the Averett GPS program to everyone!

The classes were quick, challenging to the appropriate level, and the staff was amazing at responding and helping me along the way. I recommend the Averett GPS program to everyone!

How has your degree from Averett University assisted you in your career?

I learned so much even though the courses are fairly brief, and even after completing courses, the professors have been quick to reach out to me for letters of recommendation and career questions. They want you to be successful, and I am thankful for their encouragement.

What advice would you share for current and incoming students in Averett University’s GPS Program?

Even if you think you don’t have time, you do! The courses are set up so that you can be successful and be able to live your life, raise kids, and work full time while you earn a reputable degree, and the cost is less than many online schools I looked into. I don’t think I would have been as successful and able to maintain a high GPA in another school or with another program. I was able to complete my degree program in about 18 months. Their GPS program changed my life and the way I thought about obtaining my Bachelor’s Degree. If you have a concern, reach out to someone. Anyone I ever emailed, whether a professor or a student success counselor, they got back to me within a day about any concerns I had. The professionalism and the support is something I didn’t even get from my community college.

What keeps you motivated while in your degree program?

My motivation was the constant encouragement from staff. The responses from professors about how great you are doing, what you can do to improve, and seeing those A’s next to assignments and final grades! It makes you feel so good to be successful. Showing my son that hard work pays off, that was a huge motivator. There were many times I was tired, and had an assignment due, and he would tell me, “You can do it, Mom. You will get a 100!” He had faith in me when I didn’t have faith in myself, and the professors did, too. They really want you to succeed!

What is your anticipated date of graduation?

I completed the required courses for my Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology and Criminal Justice on April 16, 2018 and will receive my degree in May 2018. If you think that obtaining a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree is not in the cards for you because of how busy your life is, give Averett a call.

Learn about our Sociology and Criminal Justice Program

Download BSCJ Requirements

Tags: , , , ,