wendy_motley_headshot

Hello! My Name Is…

My name is Wendy Motley and I am a 19-year visual arts teacher. I taught high school for 5 years and currently teach in a K-5 Advancement Via Individual Determinate (AVID) elementary showcase school. My passions are integration and community outreach through the arts. My husband, seven year old son, and parents have been supportive in my desire to further my education and career. I enjoy reading and anything nature related, including hiking, landscaping, and gardening.

What is your motivation for obtaining your degree here at Averett University?

It is my goal as an educator to not only assist each individual student in meeting their full potential and develop a love for learning but to also help them think independently and develop a love and respect for themselves so that they can love and respect others in a diverse and ever-changing world community.

Why did you choose Averett University’s Graduate & Professional Studies program?

I have many fond memories of my time at Averett as an undergraduate student in Danville. The education I received from Averett prepared me to be a successful 21st century visual arts educator. The solid academics and ethics Averett provided, assisted me in being named the 2015-16 Lee County Schools district teacher of the year and the 2016-17 North Carolina Art Educators Association, State Art Educator of the Year.

Based on my positive experiences, choosing Averett to peruse my graduate degree was an easy decision.

How has your degree from Averett University assisted you in your career?

Applying the methods and practices from the courses to my classroom, has proven beneficial to not only the students in my school but to the students in my district as well. Based on the knowledge gained from the rigorous courses and support from my instructors, I have written a first grade arts integration reading intervention curriculum. Before entering the GPS program, I knew that I wanted to write an arts integration curriculum but did not have the proverbial tools to do so, effectively. I can now say that my tool box is overflowing with effective tools!

What advice would you share for current and incoming students in Averett University’s GPS Program?

For current and incoming GPS students, I recommend a set schedule and routine for completing course work. Take a least one day off per week to spend with your family or doing something you enjoy. Explain to your family why you are enrolled in the GPS program and how it will benefit your family in the long run.

My motto: A short-term sacrifice yields a long-term gain.

What keeps you motivated while in your degree program?

My passion for arts integration, education, fellow cohorts, and my son kept me motivated during my degree program. My son is the number one reason for completing this degree. My desire is for him to understand that you never stop learning and that it is never too late to pursue your passion or go back to school. Excuses are not allowed.

What is your anticipated date of graduation?

I look forward to graduating May 5, 2018.

Learn about our M.Ed. Programs

Download M.Ed. Requirements

Tags: , ,