iris_hester

Hello! My Name Is…

I am married and reside in Greensboro, NC with my husband Cedric and three children. I currently work at Piedmont Community College as a Cosmetology Instructor. My hobbies include shopping, swimming, networking and styling hair. My passion for public service and outreach has led me to minister to others. I use my gift as a singer to minister to others through song and to work alongside my husband with MG Music Group.

What is your motivation for obtaining your degree here at Averett University?

I have worked with youth at the community college for a number of years through the cosmetology program. As I motivated them to pursue their passions, I realized that I wanted to make an impact on youth before they became adults. I’ve always mentored my students and see the need to impact school aged students. As the mother of three children and mentor to many students from low socioeconomic environments, I am keenly aware that I have impacted others to strive for high academic achievement and to follow their dreams. My degree from Averett will be a stepping-stone for me to enter a new career in counseling.

Why did you choose Averett University’s Graduate & Professional Studies program?

I chose Averett because of the flexibility of online classes and the articulation agreement with Piedmont Community College. As a result, this made it more affordable for me to earn a Bachelor’s degree. I was really motivated by a colleague who had gone through the program and after hearing her talk about her experience, I was sold. I made Averett my first choice and I’m glad that I did.

How has your degree from Averett University assisted you in your career?

The coursework has enabled me to better understand how organizational structures operate and how to become an effective leader. These are tools that I now apply in my current position.

What advice would you share for current and incoming students in Averett University’s GPS Program?

Be committed to the work. Communicate because this is the key to your success. Be willing to collaborate and learn from others.

Knowing that I will have a greater impact on others once I have obtained my degree and knowing that my own children are watching me are two reasons that continue to motivate me while in my degree program.

What keeps you motivated while in your degree program?

What is your anticipated date of graduation?

Averett University, Class of 2018!

Learn about our BAS Leadership Program

Download BAS Leadership Requirements

Tags: , ,