Joseph_Baker

Hello! My Name Is…

Hi! My name is Joseph Baker! I have been in the construction equipment business since 1980. My career expands from selling Case construction equipment with my family business to managing a division for a Caterpillar Dealership. For the last 6 years I have been an employee of a company that appraises construction equipment. I am married to a wonderful woman, Dedy, who I met at Averett in 1978. After going our separate ways, we reconnected and have been married now for two and a half years. Between the two of us, we have seven children. My hobbies are working out in the yard, walking along the beach with Dedy and visiting our families.

What is your motivation for obtaining your degree here at Averett University?      

I started in 1976 at Averett College. I did not finish due to a family tragedy; I had to move back home to work in my dad’s business. When I started dating Dedy several years ago, she asked me why I did not finish my degree. I always wanted to get my degree during the first couple of years after I left Averett in 1979, but I did not. Once Dedy and I discussed going back to Averett, I spoke with a person in the IDEAL program. I had never taken an online course before – it was very challenging at first. My biggest cheerleader is my wife. She has been very encouraging and understanding (late nights).

Why did you choose Averett University’s Graduate & Professional Studies program?

I choose this program mainly to finish my undergraduate program due to my familiarity with AU and the flexibility of taking online courses.  I travel a lot and the program is convenient.

How has your degree from Averett University assisted you in your career?

Particularly, in taking my recent business courses, I have been able to utilize and implement several ideas into my work.

What advice would you share for current and incoming students in Averett University’s GPS program?

My advice is to not give up, even if it has been years since going to an educational institution. The advisors and members of the IDEAL program are very supportive and understanding.

What keeps you motivated while in your degree program?

Knowing that Dedy has been there for support. Of course, I am looking forward to graduating. But I am also enjoying applying to my job what I have learned already.

Of course, I am looking forward to graduating. But I am also enjoying applying to my job what I have learned already.

What is your anticipated date of graduation?

Averett University, Class of 2019!

Learn about our IDEAL program

Tags: , , , ,