cory-ross-online-degree-student

What is your motivation for obtaining your degree?

There are three main factors that have motivated me to pursue my degree in Business Administration. As a father, one of the main things that motivates me is family. They say “we are the windows through which our children see the world.” I want to set example for my children and show them the importance of obtaining a higher education. One of my life long goals has always been to own my own business. This career goal, along with the potential for higher earnings, is what motivated me to choose a business degree.

Why did you choose Averett’s Graduate & Professional Studies Program?

Averett University’s GPS Program was the best fit for my family’s lifestyle. The program stood out because of its “one course at a time” flexibility and “self-paced learning” along with its reasonable weekly deadlines. Averett’s academic schedule afforded me the opportunity to maintain fulltime employment and spend quality time with my family and friends, all while obtaining a degree.

Please share one tip for your fellow classmates and future AU students:

The most valuable tip(s) I can give my fellow classmates and future AU students is COMMUNICATION and CLARIFICATION. You would be surprised at how smooth this process goes once you’ve learned how to communicate EFFECTIVELY with your fellow classmates and instructor. When you don’t fully understand the assignment, I highly recommend reaching out to your instructor via email or telephone to receive clarification. We can all read the same exact instructions on an assignment with the ability to form different interpretations or assumptions on what is required. Don’t hesitate or feel embarrassed to ask for clarification.

What helps to keep you motivated while you are in the program?

When I found myself in a position where I felt like given up, I found motivation in thinking of the many reasons why I’d initially enrolled in the GPS Program. I receive continuous motivation with my children and thinking of their future. The thought of knowing I have someone depending on my success pushes me to strive harder in each course. I am inspired and motivated by my eldest sister, who has obtained her Masters of Education, while raising a family and working fulltime. My sister allowed me to realize my academic goals were achievable. I’ve witnessed first-hand the many obstacles she faced to reach the finish line; in return, prepared me to overcome my own obstacles. I found motivation in the constructive feedback and words of encouragement from my instructors as well. It is refreshing to see that the instructors are able to relate to their students and acknowledge the dedication it takes to complete their course.

What is your anticipated Date of Graduation?

Averett University, Class of 2017!

Learn about our ASB Program

Download ASB Requirements

Tags: