Our Individually Designed Education for Adult Learners Program (IDEAL) allows adult learners to design a masters of accountancy program of independent study experiences and online courses that fit their needs. They can study whenever and wherever it is convenient for them, guided by an advisor who pays close attention to their needs.
Grad School Hub has ranked Averett University’s online Master’s in Accounting degree program as the 14th most affordable among private non-profit colleges in 2018.
Master of Accountancy
The Master of Accountancy program is offered through the Main Campus in an online format. The MSA degree is designed to enhance accounting skills specific to a graduate level of study so that graduates are competitive in public industry, private industry, and teaching careers. This program will help graduates be able to maintain successful pass rates on the Uniform Certified Public Accounting (CPA) examination.
Thirty credit hours are required to graduate with the Master of Accountancy. Three to four courses are offered on a rotational semester basis including summer semester. Each semester, the curriculum focuses on specific areas of the CPA examination so that students can focus on each part of the exam in different semesters. The program provides a broad basis of competitive skills that can lead to various careers in accounting.
All courses are offered online so that prospective students who are working full-time will have some flexibility.
Who This Program Is For
The Master of Accountancy meets the 150 hours requirement of the CPA Examination for students entering directly after the undergraduate degree is completed. This degree also meets the needs of accounting graduates currently working who must have the 150 hour requirement for certification.
The Master of Accountancy Admissions Committee attempts to select for enrollment those applicants considered best able to benefit from a graduate accounting education at Averett University.
In making its decisions, the Admissions Committee considers many factors including:
- An undergraduate accounting degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale
- Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) score
- Professional work experience
- Letters of recommendation
- CPA exam sections passed
Acceptance without any provisions
Combined GPA and GMAT score of 1050 or above as outlined in the formula below:
- GPA (regionally accredited institution) X 200
- Plus – GMAT score
Provisional Acceptance is available in the following cases (level of provision(s) depends on each applicant’s case):
- Applicant has an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in accounting or a degree in business with 18 hours or more in accounting at the 300 level or above, and who has passed at least two of the sections of the CPA exam within the past 18 months with a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- Applicant has an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in accounting or a degree in business with 18 hours or more in accounting at the 300 level or above with a GPA of 2.5 or above, a GMAT score of 450, and provides three (3) letters of recommendation.
- Applicant has an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in accounting or a degree in business with 18 hours or more in accounting at the 300 level or above, has three (3) years of experience in public accounting, corporate/managerial accounting and/or governmental accounting, and provides three (3) letters of recommendation.
For more information, please contact Dr. Peggy Wright, director of the Master of Accountancy Program at Averett University, or 434-791-7118.
"Make the call! That was the hardest part because I didn't know what I was getting into. Once I called it seemed so easy. The roadmap was laid out and I knew exactly what I needed to do to get where I wanted to go."
- Joy Wood, MBA '06Watch Testimonial
"Just do it. Just jump in. The advisors, the enrollment counselors, and the faculty and staff - they're all fantastic and you learn so much."
- Kathryn Riley, BBA '16 and MBA '18Watch Testimonial
"I had a successful career underway and yet doors have opened since my undergraduate degree and since the master's at Averett."
- Keith Newnam, BBA '14 and MBA '16Watch Testimonial
"I had several years of management experience. Getting my Averett bachelor's degree helped me structure my managerial skills in order to become a better leader."
- Rodney Meadows, BBA '14 and MBA '18Watch Testimonial