Averett University Individually Designed Education for Adult Learners (IDEAL)
Students whose busy lifestyles or location make it difficult to attend structured programs in our Graduate and Professional Studies Division still have the opportunity to pursue a bachelor’s degree with Averett University.
Our Individually Designed Education for Adult Learners Program (IDEAL) allows adult learners to design a program of independent study and online courses that fit their needs. They can study whenever and wherever it is convenient for them, guided by an academic advisor who pays close attention to their educational needs.
How IDEAL Works
IDEAL students connect with an academic advisor who helps them evaluate their past experiences, including college coursework, credit by examination, or military training, for transfer credit. They then work with their advisor to define their academic goals and plot a course of study, determining which courses will be taken as independent study and which will be taken online, or even at other institutions.
Students take courses according to the schedule they have designed, interacting with other students through Averett’s course management system, and having regular conferences with their academic advisor. They progress towards a bachelor’s degree—at least 120 total college credits, 30 or more of which must be earned with Averett.
IDEAL is designed to be fully portable, meaning students can combine their studies at Averett with classes taken elsewhere.
Areas of Study
The IDEAL program currently allows students the opportunity to complete a bachelor’s degree in the following fields:
- Business Administration – Study foundational principles of how businesses work, from finance and accounting to human resources and marketing.
- Criminal Justice – Study theories of criminal causation, the courts, the correction system, law enforcement, and investigations.
- Sociology – Understand how human society interacts, from the level of the individual upward, and gain perspective on your own place in the world.
- Sport Management – Prepare for career opportunities with sports teams.
- Applied Science—Holders of an associate of applied science in a technical field can complete the academic requirements for a bachelor’s degree.
Who Can Apply
IDEAL can work for adults who:
- Have some college background but no degree
- Have earned an associate’s and want to earn a bachelor’s degree
- Are deployed with one of the armed forces or travel for work
You will need to provide official transcripts from high school and any colleges you have attended. We prefer applicants whose cumulative GPA in high school or in previous college coursework was at least a 2.0.
Want to learn more about independent study through IDEAL, or any of our other degree programs for adults? Contact us today! and start down the road to your goals.